- is convinced that competition policy should ensure equal opportunities, and stresses that national competition authorities (NCAs) must tackle secret cartels;
- is concerned about the serious shortcomings with regard to the independence and resources of the NCAs in many Member States;
- recommends that the powers assigned to the NCAs also be used for preventive measures;
- believes that NCAs should be granted the power to institute legal proceedings in their own right.
Other relevant EESC opinions:
- Report on Competition Policy 2015 (INT/800 - CESE 04505-2016)
- Report on Competition Policy 2014 (INT/771 - CESE 3837-2015)
- Report on Competition Policy 2013 (INT/746 - CESE 3690-2014)
- Antitrust Damages Actions/Quantification of harm (INT/706 - CESE 4975-2013)
- Competitiveness Programme (INT/619 - CESE 808-2012)
For more information please contact the INT Section Secretariat.