This conference is very timely; demographic trends pose major challenges to the labour market. It suffers from structural problems. Young people, in particular, find it difficult to gain a footing in the labour market, despite skills they have. It is not only the case in Europe. It is also a major problem in Tunisia, where the demographic trend is the opposite: it is a very young population with high skills and no jobs.
Демокрация на участието
On the eve of the European Summit on 23 May, the President of the European Economic and Social Committee once again calls for leadership, clarity and resolve in order to ensure the future development of the European Union.
Civil Society Day at the EESC, Brussels
"From April 2012, European citizens will enjoy a new right, which will give them a stronger voice in EU affairs when the European Citizens’ Initiative enters into force. From that moment on, they will be able to express their demands in a new, unprecedented way. By collecting one million signatures across Europe, they can call upon the European Commission to propose or change European legislation. The European Economic and Social Committee has been an advocate of citizens’ rights to participate since the beginning of the European project.
The Workers' Group of the European Economic and Social Committee believes this is an urgent need to deliver a clear message to EU institutions and Member States' leaders: the Group is firmly against Merkel-Sarkozy's proposals related only to a strengthening of the Stability and Growth Pact in the Lisbon Treaty. The resolution mentions the orientations that should be adopted and the measures that should be taken.
In this issue:
- Articles on the state of play of associations by our Members
- Guest article by Raffaella Bolini, Co-President, European Civic Forum
- Statement of the Group on Climate Change
- What happened to the EESC opinion on Europe’s beating cancer plan? - An interview with rapporteur Małgorzata Anna Bogusz
- Editorial by EESC President Luca Jahier
- New interim co-chair from CSO members
- Civil Society Days on 22-23 April
- ECI Day on 25 February
- ECAS New European Citizens' Initiative Forum
- LLLP and ECAS campaign on Learning Democracy
- and much more