- Sport helps meet the EU’s strategic objectives, brings to the fore key educational and cultural values and is a conduit of integration, since it is open to all members of the public, regardless of their gender, ethnic origin, religion, age, nationality, social situation or sexual orientation. Sport is a tool to tackle intolerance, xenophobia and racism.
- Sporting activities allow all people to channel their hopes in a constructive way, enriching them with the values that sport entails such as hard work, solidarity and cohesion. Such activities also bring physical and mental well-being while helping to alleviate social problems by providing positive values.
- Volunteering has a key role to play in the development of grassroots sport and in clubs, affording it considerable value from a social, economic and democratic point of view.
- The principle of good governance and sound management should ensure integrity in sporting competitions.
- The EESC supports strengthening the role of sport as a driver of innovation and economic growth.
- With an eye to the development of the sports sector, steps should be taken to foster at different levels the use of EU funding instruments.
- At European level, efforts should be made to promote social cohesion, measures to include disadvantaged groups in sporting activities and social integration.
- The EU has an important role to play in tackling inequality with a view to removing the barriers that prevent people with disabilities and older people from taking part in sport.
- Special attention should be devoted by the EU and Member States to promoting sport and physical exercise amongst older people.