Scope and objectives
The Section for Agriculture, Rural Development and the Environment (NAT) of the European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) will hold a thematic debate on the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the European Union in connection with the publication of the Europe Sustainable Development Report 2020.
Now in its second edition, the Europe Sustainable Development Report 2020 is a joint initiative by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) and the Institute for European Environmental Policy (IEEP), in collaboration with the EESC.
At this thematic debate, the authors of the report will:
- present the key findings and policy recommendations of the Europe Sustainable Development Report 2020;
- engage in a conversation with various stakeholders and the NAT Section Members.
The European Union must assume a stronger role in promoting and implementing the Sustainable Development Goals as well as the outcomes of the Paris Agreement. Both provide useful and timely frameworks for mapping out a long-term vision for the economic, social, and environmental transformations that Europe needs.
The COVID-19 pandemic has already significantly affected health care systems and jobs and remains a major source of uncertainty. Yet, it also provides an opportunity:
- putting Europe's future on a sustainable path, and
- accelerating the implementation of key transformations for sustainable development.
- the mobilisation of stakeholders from across the EU, and
- a structured involvement of civil society in the decision-making processes.
nat-eventseesc [dot] europa [dot] eu (subject: Accelerating%20action%20on%20the%20SDGs%20-%2015%2F12%2F2020) (Contact us)