10/04/2018 | 9.30a.m. - 1.00 p.m. | European Economic and Social Committee - Room VMA 3
Rue Van Maerlant 2, 1040 | Brussels | Belgium
9.00 a.m. | Registration
9.30 a.m. | Welcome and introduction
- Antonello Pezzini, EESC member and rapporteur of the opinion on the EU plastics strategy, including action on marine litter
- Cillian Lohan, EESC member, European Circular Economy Stakeholder Platform
9.45 a.m. | Views and concrete actions from civil society on rethinking plastics: economic and social opportunities, benefits for the environment and our oceans
Moderator: Veselin Mitov, EESC member
- Ariadna Rodrigo, Rethink Plastic Alliance and Zero Waste Europe
- Dr. Leonor Garcia, Director Public Affairs, Plastics Europe
- Dr. Laurent Zibell, Policy Advisor, industriAll European trade union
- Nadine De Greef, Secretary General, European Federation of Waste Management and Environmental Services (FEAD)
- Alberto Arroyo, Senior Policy Manager, European Regional Office, International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
11.15 a.m. | Coffee break
11.30 a.m. | Political conclusions: how will the EU Plastics Strategy and action on marine litter help make the transition to a circular economy while providing citizens with a cleaner environment?
Moderator: Antonello Pezzini, EESC member
- Jacques Beall, Member of the French Economic, Social and Environmental Committee and rapporteur on an opinion on the European policy on maritime transport vis-à-vis the sustainable development and climate change challenges
- Werner Bosman (DG Environment), European Commission
- Anna Bobo-Remijn (DG MOVE), European Commission
12.50 a.m. – 1.00 p.m. | Conclusions by the rapporteur and next steps
After the hearing, the EESC will host a 20-minute theatre performance entitled "Bottled-up", written and created by young performer Colleen Cameron. The performance will be held in the entrance hall of the JDE building. Instructions on how to get there will be given at the end of the hearing. In parallel, the exhibition "Trash Poetry", by Brazilian artist Paulo Costa do Souto, featuring works made using plastic waste, will be on display in the EESC canteen.
Participants can speak in DE,EN,FR,IT,LT and listen to DE,EN,FR,IT,LT.
Follow us on Twitter!