The proposal builds on 2030 Digital Compass, in which the Commission laid out the vision for a successful digital transformation of Europe's economy and society by the end of the decade. It introduces now a robust governance framework to reach the digital targets in the form of a Path to the Digital Decade.
Specifically, the Commission proposes to engage in an annual cooperation mechanism with Member States that will consist of:
- A structured, transparent and shared monitoring system based on the Digital Economy and Society Index (DESI) to measure progress towards each of the 2030 targets; including key performance indicators (KPIs);
- An annual report on the ‘State of the Digital Decade', in which the Commission will evaluate progress and provide recommendations for actions;
- Multiannual digital decade strategic roadmaps for each Member State, in which they will outline adopted or planned policies and measures in support of the 2030 targets;
- A structured annual framework to discuss and address areas of insufficient progress through recommendations and joint commitments between the Commission and the Member States;
- A mechanism to support the implementation of multi-country projects.
The Commission shall review the targets by 2026 to take stock of technological, economic and societal developments.
Administrator in charge: Alice TETU
Assistant: Inga LUNGUL
For more information please contact the INT Section Secretariat.