Background and objectives
The Euro-Mediterranean Summit of Economic and Social Councils and Similar Institutions aims at promoting greater understanding of the main issues affecting organised civil society in the Euromed region and at discussing the common challenges they face.
The event brings together some 120 participants from a range of economic and social councils, or similar institutions, representatives of employers, trade unions, other economic and social interests groups and NGOs from countries which are members of the Union for the Mediterranean.
The Summit will focus on some of the challenges faced by Mediterranean countries and the role that civil society can play in facing them. The meeting will conclude with the adoption of recommendations that will be sent to the political authorities of the countries involved in the Euromed Ministerial Summits as civil society's contribution to their work, and disseminated widely amongst civil society organisations in the region.
This year, the exchange will focus on the following topics:
- Digitalisation and SMEs in the Mediterranean region
In accordance with the decision taken at the Euro-Mediterranean Ministerial Conference in Barcelona in November 1995, the Economic and Social Councils and Similar Institutions of the European Union and the Euromed partner countries have regularly held Summits since 1995.
The 2019 Euro-Mediterranean Summit is co-organised by the European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) and The Secretariat of the Union for the Mediterranean (UFM) The event is co-financed by the European Commission.
Venue: Palacio Pedralbes, Pere Duran Farell 11 – Barcelona
22 October 8.00 – 18.30
23 October 9.00 – 13.00
- Representatives of economic and social councils and similar institutions of the Euromed region;
- Representatives of employers, trade unions, NGOs and different economic and social organisations of the Euromed region;
- A delegation of European Economic and Social Committee members;
- Representatives from the EU institutions
- Representatives from the Secretariat of the Union for Mediterranean;
- representatives of international organizations related to the topics to be discussed
- Press representatives;
For more information contact Andreas [dot] Bergereesc [dot] europa [dot] eu (Andreas Berger) ; euromedeesc [dot] europa [dot] eu; Tel.: +32(0)2 546 9062