- Composition of the study group
- Administrator / Assistant in charge: Conrad Ganslandt / Luca Pitrone
In 2013, the Communication ‘A new Forest Strategy: for forests and the forest-based sector’ set a new EU framework to coordinate and ensure coherence in forest-related policies and enhance the contribution of forests and the forest-based sector to EU objectives. Its guiding principles are:
- Sustainable forest management (SFM),
- the multifunctional role of forests,
- resource efficiency and
- global forest responsibility.
The strategy engages the Commission, Member States and stakeholders to work together towards a common vision and a coherent planning and implementation of forest-related policies.
It sets two key objectives for 2020:
- ensuring that all forests in the EU are managed according to SFM principles, and
- strengthening the EU's contribution to promoting SFM and reducing deforestation at global level.
Both address the three dimensions of sustainable development, providing a holistic approach to forest management and policy.