514e Plenary Session, with the following debates :
You are here
Wednesday 20 January at 3 p.m. - Debate on COP 21: taking stock and looking ahead
Thursday 21 January 2016 at 9.30 a.m. - Debate on The role of organised civil society in democratic transition processes: Tunisia, a case study,
with the Tunisian Quartet, winners of the 2015 Nobel Peace Prize:
- Kacem Afaya, Deputy Secretary-General of the General Union of Tunisian Workers (UGTT)
- Ahmed ben Tahar Galai, vice-president of the Tunisian League of Human Rights (LTDH)
- Slim Ghorbel, member of the board of the Tunisian Industrial, Commercial and Handicrafts Union (UTICA)
• Review of the Luxembourg presidency of the Council of the EU, on Wednesday 9 December at 5 p.m., with the participation of Nicolas Schmit, Luxembourg's Minister for Labour, Employment and the Social and Solidarity Economy
• Presentation of the European Commission's 2016 Work Programme and debate on the European Agenda on Migration, in conjunction with the adoption of opinions on migration (REX/452, REX/457, SOC/525 and SOC/526), on 10 Dec. at 10 a.m., with Frans Timmermans, First vice-president of the European Commission
Elected with an overwhelming majority, Georges Dassis is the 31st president of the European Economic and Social Committee, an institution that he will head with two vice-presidents, Michael Smyth (budget) and Gonçalo Lobo Xavier (communication) from 2015 to 2018.
510th Plenary session. Taking stock at the end of the term-in-office. Statement by Henri Malosse, EESC president: taking stock of the 2013-2015 presidency, statement by Hans-Joachim Wilms, EESC vice-president, on the EESC's budgetary position at the end of the term-in-office, statement by Jane Morrice, EESC vice-president, taking stock of the Committee's communication policy for 2013-2015.
- Discussion on the priorities of the Luxembourg presidency of the Council of the EU, with Nicolas Schmit, Minister for Labour, Employment and the Social and Solidarity Economy
- Discussion on the simplification of the CAP and the use of financial instruments in the rural development programme, with Phil Hogan, European Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development
- Review of the Latvian presidency of the Council of the EU, with Zanda Kalniņa-Lukaševica, Parliamentary Secretary in the Latvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Discussion on current state of play of the International climate negotiations, in conjunction with the adoption of opinion NAT/665, with Miguel Arias Cañete, European Commissioner for Climate Action and Energy
507th Plenary Session, with debates on
• The Energy Union, with Maroš Šefčovič, Vice-President of the European Commission responsible for the Energy Union
• Trade policy and the TTIP, with Cecilia Malmström, Commissioner responsible for Trade
• A Presentation of the EU's economic priorities in the coming years, by Pierre Moscovici, Commissioner for Economic and Financial Affairs, Taxation and Customs
Mr Frans TIMMERMANS, 1st Vice-President of the European Commission, in charge of coordinating the work on better regulation and interinstitutional relations, rule of law and the Charter of Fundamental Rights will present the Commission's program "Better regulation" and the state of interinstitutional cooperation.
This presentation will be followed by a debate on the Opinion "Investment Plan for Europe" , with the participation of Mr Jyrki KATAINEN, Vice-President of the European Commission in charge of Jobs, Growth, Investment and Competitiveness.