- is particularly pleased to see that Member States and the European Parliament have taken on board its firm support for financing Copernicus under the multiannual financial framework;
- reiterates its support for European Union's space programmes because it demonstrates the European space industry's capacity for innovation and technological development;
- recommends that governance should be clearly defined for Copernicus as well as detailed procurement rules setting;
- highlights the fact that the European Union should assume ownership of the system in terms of data management.
The opinion is of particular interest for the industry involved in space policy programmes.
Related EESC opinions:
- European Earth monitoring programme (GMES) (CESE 1571/2012, INT/630)
- GMES - Space component (CESE 963/2010, INT/514)
- European Earth Observation Programme (GMES) (CESE 96/2010, INT/487)
- Opinions on Space and Research and development