The EESC welcomes the fact that the Commission has made it clear that research and innovation must continue to be an essential EU priority.
- reiterates the importance of public investment in research and development as a key driver for producing and sustaining a spillover effect on the Member States' economies;
- welcomes the aim of further simplifying State aid rules to facilitate the combination of different funds, which can be instrumental to overcoming the large disparities between Member States and regions;
- is convinced that many grand societal challenges can only be solved at a European level and this is why the idea of missions is supported;
- believes it is necessary to increase the volume of EU investment to help European workers to keep abreast of developments in and earn qualifications for digital professions;
- believes that initiatives helping SMEs to capitalise on and tap the outcome of research and innovation should be supported more effectively.
For more information please contact the INT Section Secretariat.