Cillian Lohan graduated from University College Cork and University of Ulster with Bachelor and Master of Science Degrees.
He has worked extensively in the corporate sector (strategic planning and business development) and in the environmental sector (conservation and habitat management).
He is a leader in the field of Circular Economy. He was the inaugural Chair of the European Circular Economy Stakeholder Platform which he helped to establish. He is an experienced delegate at United Nations initiatives such as the Climate COP negotiations, and the High Level Political Forum on the Sustainable Development Goals.
As CEO of Green Economy Foundation, Cillian has overseen ambitious projects including the planting of over 1 million trees in Ireland, and the establishment of a Wildlife Reserve in Tobago.
Appointed through the Irish Environmental Pillar, he has been an active member of the EESC since 2015, and has been rapporteur for 13 opinions. He was elected to the office of vice-president of the EESC by his peers. He is only the second Irish member to become vice-president of the EESC.
The Circular Economy: A Simple Explanation: A TED talk by Cillian Lohan at the TEDxYouth@EEB3 (February 2018)
Member of the NAT, TEN and ECO and INT sections
Rapporteur for the following opinions, among others:
- Towards structured youth engagement on climate and sustainability in the EU decision-making process (own-initiative opinion)
- Reflection Paper 'Towards a Sustainable Europe by 2030'
- Developing synergies across different circular economy roadmaps (own-initiative opinion)
- Facilitating access to climate finance for non-state actors (Own-initiative opinion)
- Monitoring framework for the circular economy (communication)
- Access to justice at national level related to measures implementing EU environmental law (communication)
- Climate justice (own-initiative opinion)
- Waste-to-energy under the Circular Economy
- Eco-design work programme 2016-2019
- Action Plan against Wildlife Trafficking
- The making available on the market of CE-marked fertilising products
- Circular Economy Package
- New Circular Economy Action Plan