As in previous years, the European Economic and Social Committee, as the body representing organised civil society in the EU, will be following the High Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF), from Tuesday 5 July, to Monday 18 July 2022. The HLPF is the United Nations central platform for follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals.
The High-level Political Forum session this year focuses on the theme Building back better from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) while advancing the full implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The HLPF will reflect on how recovery policies can reverse the negative impacts of the pandemic on the SDGs and move countries on to a path to realise the vision of the 2030 Agenda.
The UN HLPF2022 HLPF will also review in-depth the following Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
- Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all;
- Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls;
- Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development;
- Goal 15: Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss;
- Goal 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
During the HLPF 2022, the EESC will hold an online event on SDG15 "Healthy planet for healthy people - Reinvigorating progress on SDG 15 in the EU" on Thursday 14 July 2022, from 14:30 to 16:30 (Brussels time).