The European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) will be holding its ninth meeting of European Union, Latin American and Caribbean civil society representatives in Panama City on 3-4 October 2017. The meeting will take place during the run-up to the ninth summit of heads of state and government from the European Union, Latin America and the Caribbean.
The event follows in the footsteps of previous meetings of EU-Latin America and Caribbean civil society organisations held by the EESC, with the support of the European Commission.
The EESC will thus have its own input into the summit, focusing in particular on adding depth to civil society's consultative role and to the social dialogue, and by highlighting the role that organised civil society stakeholders and the various civil society consultative bodies can play in relations between the EU and Latin America and the Caribbean.
Participants will make proposals for ongoing relations between the EU and Latin America and the Caribbean, not least on the economic, social and environmental fronts.
The meeting will explore issues of interest to the heads of state and government participating in the EU-CELAC Summit to be held on 26 and 27 October on the theme of the Summit, "Building bridges and strengthening our partnership to tackle global challenges". The topics that will be discussed during the meeting include multilateralism, open and fair trade, and decent work and protecting the environment as pillars of sustainable development.
The total number of participants will be around 120. The meeting will last two days and will bring together employers, workers and third-sector organisations.
As on previous occasions, the meeting will conclude with the adoption of a final declaration for the attention of the heads of state and government of the two continents meeting at the 2017 EU-CELAC Summit.
Location: Panama City, Panama
- a delegation of European Economic and Social Committee members;
- representatives of the Mercosur Economic and Social Consultative Forum;
- representatives from the consultative councils and civil society of the Andean Community;
- representatives of the SICA Consultative Committee;
- representatives from Mexican organised civil society;
- members of the EU-Chile Joint Consultative Committee;
- members of the EU-Cariforum Consultative Committee;
- representatives of the Economic and Social Councils of Latin America and the Caribbean;
- representatives of the Economic and Social Councils of the European Union;
- representatives from European and international socio-occupational organisations;
- representatives from the EU institutions;
- observers, the press, the diplomatic corps.
Lucia MENDEZ DEL RIO CABRA
Tel. +32 (0)2 546 9345