The role of youth in rural development
- Lidija Pavić-Rogošić, EESC Member and President of the Study Group on The role of youth in rural development
10:00 | Opening remarks
- Nicoletta Merlo, EESC Member and Rapporteur of the own-initiative opinion The role of youth in rural development
10:10 | Setting the scene: Making European rural areas more attractive to young people
- María Gafo Gómez-Zamalloa, DG AGRI - European Commission
- How can the Rural Pact and rural proofing benefit young people at national and EU level and which opportunities can the CAP and National Strategic Plans offer to young people?
- Katalin Ludvig, Deputy Regional Initiative Coordinator for Empowering Smallholders, Family Farms and Youth Rural Development Specialist, FAO
- Initiatives of the FAO to support young people in rural areas
- Jane Craigie, Rural Youth Project
- The empowerment of young people in rural areas
10:45 | Roundtable discussion: Bringing together sustainable jobs, training, services & governance
Topic I – Sustainable jobs and training: which are the new sustainable jobs in rural areas and which training is needed for young people?
Moderator: Tatjana Babrauskienė, EESC Member
- Jessica Micklem, expert on the opinion on Empowering youth to achieve sustainable development through education
- A representative of Young Friends of the Countryside (YFCS)
- Enrico Somaglia, Deputy General Secretary, European Federation of Trade Unions in the Food, Agriculture and Tourism (EFFAT)
Topic II – Services & governance: which kind of services and governance are needed to enable meaningful youth engagement in rural areas?
Moderator: Josep Puxeu Rocamora, EESC Member
- Doris Letina, Vice-President, European Council of Young Farmers (CEJA)
- Nikolaos Zervos, European Rural Parliament (ERP)
- Quentin Legouy, City & Intermunicipaly Councillor in charge of European affairs - Loire Valley - Young Elected Politicians Programme, Committee of the Regions (CoR)