In September 2015, world leaders adopted the UN Agenda Transforming our world: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, establishing a set of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet, ensure the protection of human rights and guarantee prosperity for all. The adoption of this Agenda marks a historic shift towards a new paradigm by addressing economic, social and environmental disparities in a universal and integrated way. This process fully reflects the European values of social justice, democratic governance and the social market economy, as well as environmental protection.
Through our Sustainable Development Observatory (SDO), we are advocating for a Europe that leads by example worldwide by complying fully with and implementing the UN 2030 Agenda.
In particular, we have identified the following key policy areas for transformational change towards sustainable development in the EU:
- a fair transition to a low-carbon, circular and resource-efficient economy;
- transition towards a socially inclusive society and economy – decent work and human rights;
- transition to sustainable food production and consumption;
- investing in innovation and long-term infrastructure modernisation and encouraging sustainable businesses;
- making trade work for global sustainable development.
The SDO works on addressing all these transitions in a consistent and integrated manner so as to optimise societal benefits.