- emphasises the importance of establishing a suitable and balanced regulatory framework for platforms in the digital single market that could help to establish a climate of trust, both for businesses and for consumers;
- considers it necessary to maintain consistency with the recommendations of its previous opinions;
- stresses the importance of technology neutrality and of coherence between rules that apply online and offline in equivalent situations, to the extent necessary and possible;
- is of the view that appropriate measures should be taken by the Commission against the growing presence of violent and/or discriminatory messages on platforms;
- recommends that particular attention be paid to the effectiveness of actions taken in relation to online platforms based outside the EU;
- states that the Communication should include a reference to the potential impact of illegal content on the Single Market;
- strongly welcomes this Communication which, in general, provides a sound approach to tackling the presence of illegal content on online platforms.
For more information please contact the INT Section Secretariat.