9.30 – 10.00 Registration and welcome coffee
10.00 – 12.30 The ECI today: lessons learned from the world’s first transnational participation instrument
Moderator: Maarten de Groot, Bertelsmann Stiftung
- Carsten Berg, The ECI Campaign – Assisting at the birth; the beginnings and the Convention
- Simona Pronckutė, "Fraternité 2020 – Mobility. Progress. Europe." ECI – Being the first ECI registered
- Pablo Sanchez, "Right2Water" ECI – Being the first successful ECI
- Olga Kikou, "End the Cage Age" ECI – Acting for the cause, understanding how the institutions work
- Assya Kavrakova, European Citizen Action Service – Recognising the need to support ECI organisers
- Christian Huesmann, Bertelsmann Stiftung – The ECI and youth participation
- Petar Markovic, "Voters without Borders" ECI – Registering the ECI under the new Regulation
- Daniela Vancic, Democracy International – Working local, imagining global
This panel will be followed by a discussion with the audience and a vote on the recommendations for a successful future ECI instrument based on contributions from the speakers.
12.30 – 13.30 Lunch provided by the European Economic and Social Committee
13.30 – 15.30 Beyond the ECI: the future of EU citizens’ participation in the digital age
Moderator: Bruno Kaufmann, Global Democracy Correspondent for the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation
- Welcome speech by Luca Jahier, President of the European Economic and Social Committee
- Dubravka Šuica, Vice-President of the European Commission for Democracy and Demography responsible for the Conference on the Future of Europe
- Jamie Susskind, author of the award-winning bestseller Future Politics: Living Together in a World Transformed by Tech (Oxford University Press, 2018)
- Elisa Lironi, Senior Manager European Democracy, European Citizen Action Service
This panel will be followed by a discussion with the audience and a vote on the recommendations for successful future participation and citizen engagement based on contributions from the speakers.
15.30 – 15.45 Coffee break
15.45 – 17.00 Beyond Europe: institutionalizing citizens’ participation around the globe
- Caroline Vernaillen, Global Manager PR & Community Building at Democracy International: UN project "World Citizens' Initiative"
- Mireia Borrell Porta, Secretary for External Action and the European Union for the Government of Catalonia and member of the European Committee of the Regions – "Strengthening and structuring citizens' participation in the EU"
- Nathan Gardels, Co-Founder of Berggruen Institute and a team leader of the Redesign of Democratic Institutions team
This panel will be followed by discussion with the audience.