- endorses the Commission's ambitious goal of reducing the number of road fatalities to half of 2010 levels during the period 2011 to 2020.
- welcomes the proposed Decision and Regulation to ensure that from October 2015 all new models of passenger cars and light duty vehicles would be fitted with 112 eCall.
- while appreciating the possible financial cost on automotive manufacturers, calls on manufacturers to also install eCall technology as soon as possible on existing types of vehicles to be manufactured after October 2015.
- urges manufacturers and Member States to extend the eCall system to powered two wheelers as soon as possible.
- believes that a European road safety agency should be set up to help harmonise and drive the implementation of road safety across the EU, including the implementation of eCall.
This opinion deals with two Commission documents:
Other relevant EESC opinions:
- Opinion on Towards a European road safety area (CESE 539/2011, TEN/430)
- Opinion on Strategic guidelines for road safety up to 2020 (CESE 1187/2010, TEN/423)
- Opinions on automotive sector