The EESC :
- shares the view that new registrations of cars and in vans in the European Union should make it possible to achieve a 100% reduction in EU fleet-wide emissions by 2035;
- supports the proposed EU fleet-wide CO2 emission reduction targets for new passenger cars by 55% (compared to the 2021 target) and generally also supports the 50% reduction target for light commercial vehicles as from 2030.
- stresses that fleet limits provide a very powerful and efficient impetus for technological change in the industry;
- strongly reaffirms that individual mobility must remain accessible and affordable for all, especially for commuters without access to quality public transport or other mobility solutions;
- reaffirms its call for an evaluation to include the state of play regarding the qualification and (re)training of staff, as well as an updated analysis of the areas in which (additional) action is required in order to further improve the skills and qualifications of employees in the automotive industry for the structural transition;
- is concerned that unless the charging infrastructure needed to support the transition is in place, the reduction targets will be hard to achieve.
For more information please contact the INT Section Secretariat.