• supports the Commission's initiative aimed at reviewing the European standardisation system;
• reiterates the importance of European standardisation for the functioning and consolidation of the single market;
• considers it of fundamental importance to bring the pace of drawing up standards up to speed and extend the scope of action to the service and ICT sectors;
• finds that specifications adopted by international industry forums and/or consortia, in the ICT sector, should only be accepted after a process of approval by European standardisation organisations (ESOs), involving representatives of SMEs, consumers, environmental organisations, workers and organisations with strong social interests;
• calls for updated technical standards in the service sector;
• recommends close links between European Standardisation Organisations and the Patent Offices.
For more information please contact the INT Section Secretariat