The Sustainable Development Forum, recommended by the EESC, will facilitate the dialogue and communication between the European institutions and non-governmental stakeholders and between non-governmental stakeholders from different constituencies on progress towards sustainable development in the EU. It will raise awareness of the 2030 Agenda, provide an informed debate and foster ownership on all sides involved.
The Committee is convinced that organising the Forum would be practically feasible and beneficial for the various parties involved. This is based on an in-depth investigation in this opinion, including hearings and meetings where stakeholders expressed support for the idea of establishing the Forum, and considering the very successful example of the European Migration Forum.
The Forum must be well embedded in the processes of SDG implementation, monitoring and review. The composition should be as inclusive as possible without compromising the possibilities to manage and operate the Forum efficiently. It should also be open to grassroots initiatives in sustainable development. The participation of the European Commission at a high level is crucial and representatives from the Council of the EU and the Parliament will be invited.
Relevant opinions adopted by the EESC:
- SOC/281: EU-level promotion of policies to integrate third-country nationals
- NAT/363: The role of the National Councils for Sustainable Development
- Information report Civil society involvement in the implementation of the Post-2015 agenda, rapporteur Brenda King,17 September 2015
- EESC position paper summarising the report
Other relevant documents:
- The UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, inculding 17 Sustainable Development Goals
- ESDN report: The role of stakeholder participation in European sustainable development policies and strategies
- Stakeholder Forum report for the EESC Building the Europe We Want - Models for civil society involvement in the implementation of the Post-2015 agenda
- Rat für Nachhaltige Entwicklung and European Environment and Sustainable Development Advisory Councils:The role of national sustainable development councils in Europe in implementing the UN's sustainable development goals (see related documents here under)