09.00 Registration and coffee
09.45 Welcome and introduction, Mr Georges Dassis, EESC President
10.00 A message from Commissioner Günther H. Oettinger
10.15 The Perspective of the European Parliament
- Mr Gilles Pargneaux, MEP, Vice-Chair, Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety; Member, Budgetary Control Committee
10.25 The Perspective of the Bulgarian Presidency
- Ms Demetra Novakova, Chair, Customs Cooperation Working Party
10.35 Panel 1: The challenges from illicit tobacco trade, in particular cheap whites
Chair: Mr Martin Siecker, EESC Member, President of the Section for the Single Market, Production and Consumption
- The illicit tobacco trade – what do we know?
Mr N. J. Ilett, Acting Director-General, OLAF
- How does the illicit tobacco trade impact business?
Mr Mihai Ivascu, EESC Member, President's Counselor, Romanian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- The challenges at the Eastern border
Mr Ants Kutti, Deputy Head of Customs Department, Estonia
- What tools do we have to fight illicit trade at EU and International level? A civil society perspective
Ms Florence Berteletti, Director, Smoke Free Partnership
- The link between illicit tobacco trade and organised crime
Professor Arndt Sinn, University of Osnabrück
12.30 Buffet lunch & coffee
14.00 Panel 2: How to meet the challenges from illicit tobacco trade?
Chair: Ms Margarete Hofmann, OLAF Policy Director
- What can the FCTC Protocol contribute to fighting illicit trade in tobacco products?
Mr Nicolas Guerrero, Senior Legal Officer, WHO FCTC Secretariat, Geneva
- Stepping-up enforcement and cooperation at European and international level
Mr David Petit, French Customs
- The illicit tobacco trade viewed from the health community
Mr Martin Seychell, Deputy Director-General for Consumers and Health, DG Health and Food Safety
- The consumer perspective: how to raise awareness?
Mr Bogomil Nikolov, EESC Member, Executive Director, Bulgarian Active Consumers Association
16.15 Concluding remarks and Outlook
- Mr Martin Siecker, EESC Member, President of the Section for the Single Market, Production and Consumption
- Ms Margarete Hofmann, OLAF Policy Director
- Mr Georg Roebling, Head of Unit, OLAF Customs and Tobacco Anti-Fraud Policy; AFIS