- Composition of the study group
- Administrators / Assistant in charge: Gaia Bottoni / Caroline Verhelst / Anna Khatchatrian
Waste transport can involve hazardous materials that are harmful to human health and the environment. The EU therefore has rules in place on waste shipments (Regulation 1013/2006).
As announced in the European Green Deal, the Commission intends to review the EU rules on waste shipments. The purpose of this review is to ensure how to facilitate that EU policy on waste shipments promotes recycling in the EU to support the transition to the circular economy. The review will also explore ways to reduce the export of waste, for example through:
- a better inspection system
- measures against illegal shipments
- and measures to avoid potential environment-and-health-related adverse effects on the environment and public health caused by shipments of waste to third countries outside the EU.