Whereas non-discrimination and equality between women and men are among the European Union's founding values;
Whereas Transport is not a gender-balanced sector in Europe;
Whereas women represent only around 22% of the European transport workforce, well below their share in the overall economy;
Whereas improved gender balance contributes to more diverse workplaces, with positive effects both internally and externally. Moreover, it positively influences the attractiveness of jobs and the competitiveness of the sector;
We, the signatories, call on all involved actors to strengthen their efforts to effectively promote women's employment and representation in Transport.
We, the signatories, agree that:
- gender disaggregated data should be collected and analysed to provide a sound basis for planning policies and measures, monitoring progress and assessing the impact of targeted actions.
- to increase female employment, company-based measures should be supported by broader institutional and societal efforts in order to drive the necessary cultural changes. This includes, for example, fighting stereotypes from an early age through education.
- Women should enjoy equal opportunities with regard to career development and being present and involved at all levels, including representation, management and decision-making.
- A positive organisational culture as well as adequate employment and working conditions are key to ensuring that transport professions are attractive: e.g. fair and transparent recruitment processes, equal pay and career opportunities, adequate working environments and facilities, measures to support work-life balance and knowledge and skills development.
- Any form of discrimination, harassment, bullying, intimidation or violence in the workplace must be eliminated.
We are committed to working to ensure gender equality in Transport, within our respective fields of competence.
We call upon all actors to address the above issues through appropriate measures.
We strongly encourage stakeholders to use the EU Platform for Change to make their individual endeavours more widely known and to share good practices across modes of transportation and countries.