The impact of COVID-19 on fundamental rights and the rule of law across the EU, and the future of democracy
Remote event via Teams, online platform
Tuesday, 12 October 2021 from 9:30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m.
9.15 a.m. – 9.30 a.m. | Log on to platform / Teams testing for Speakers
9.30 a.m. - 9.35 a.m. | Introduction
- Ozlem Yildirim, Vice-President of the EESC Fundamental Rights and Rule of Law Group
- Helena de Felipe Lehtonen, Vice-President of the EESC Fundamental Rights and Rule of Law Group
9.35 a.m. - 10.15 a.m. | Panel I – Economic and Social Rights
Moderator: José Antonio Moreno Díaz, Rapporteur on the EESC Opinion on the impact of COVID-19
- Stefan Clauwaert, Senior Legal and Human Rights Adviser, European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC)
- Helder Ferreira, Director, European Anti-Poverty Network (EAPN)
- Valeria Ronzitti, Services of General Interest Europe (SGI Europe)
Conclusions: Cristian Pîrvulescu, Rapporteur on the EESC Opinion on the impact of COVID-19 on fundamental rights and the rule of law (SOC/691) and President of the EESC FRRL Group
10.15 a.m. - 10.30 a.m. | Break
10.30 a.m. - 11.30 p.m. | Panel II – Civil and political rights, and the Rule of law
Moderator: Mr Itsvan Komoroczki, Chair of the SOC/691 Study Group
- Katerina Hadzi-Miceva Evans, Executive Director, European Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ECNL)
- Dr Joëlle Grogan, Senior lecturer and legal academic at Middlesex University London and author of Democracy Reporting International Report "Extraordinary or extralegal responses? The rule of law and the COVID-19 crisis"
- Ms Tatyana Teplova, Head of Division, Policy Coherence for SDG’s, Gender, Justice, and Inclusiveness, OECD
11.30 p.m. - 12.00 p.m. | Concluding remarks
- José Antonio Moreno Diaz, Rapporteur on EESC Opinion SOC/691
- Cristian Pîrvulsecu, Rapporteur on EESC Opinion SOC/691 and President of the EESC FRRL Group
For technical reasons, the hearing will be organised on Microsoft Teams and will be held in English only (no interpretation will be provided).