Involvement in implementation of Sustainable Development Goals:
The Implementation Plan identifies four strategic priorities to guide implementation:
- Awareness: raise public awareness of the SDGs;
- Participation: provide stakeholders opportunities to engage and contribute to follow-up and review processes, and further develop national implementation of the Goals;
- Support: encourage and support efforts of communities and organisations to contribute towards meeting the SDGs, and foster public participation; and
- Policy alignment: develop alignment of national policy with the SDGs and identify opportunities for policy coherence.
Civil society was engaged extensively in the formulation of 'Our Sustainable Future' strategy in 2012-2013 through a series of public consultations.
Government committed itself to high level of civil society engagement at 2016 & 2017 UN High-level Political Forum.
A SDG National Stakeholder Forum has been established by the Ministry and they have met three times – twice in 2018 and once (to date) in 2019; civil society organisations and NGOs accounted for 46% of attendees during 2018
A compendium of national stakeholder observations are available through the UN High-level Political Forum's website
Early in 2019, the Ministry launched a Champions programme, seeking expressions of interest from individuals and organisations to Champions in contributing to achieving the 17 Goals
The focus for the National Implementation Plan is Leave No-one Behind
Civil society platform for 2030:
Coalition 2030 is an alliance of 40+ NGOs working in Ireland and abroad, established in March 2017, that participated in the 2017 High-level Political Forum as part of the Irish delegation. The Coalition calls on the Irish government to lead in the implementation & monitoring of Agenda 2030 globally and adopt a "whole of government" approach, meaning:
- a coherent National Action Plan coordinated by the Prime Minitry's Office;
- an inclusive "SDG monitoring forum" equivalent to an Sustainable Development Council;
- increased financing for development;
- international actions.