- The Committee welcomes the Commission's proposed amendments to the accounting directives concerning both disclosure of non-financial information and diversity on governing bodies. These limited amendments will help to improve the EU's corporate governance framework
- The Committee recommends that the European Parliament and the Council take account of the balance achieved with these amendments, which increase transparency regarding environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG). The Commission's proposal constitutes a flexible and appropriate mechanism for improving communication with shareholders, investors and other stakeholders. This proposal is targeted only at large companies, in order to avoid imposing additional burdens on smaller businesses.
Other relevant EESC opinions:
- Financial services - financial reporting and auditing (CESE 618/2009, INT/476)
- Gender balance on company boards (CESE 2444/2012, SOC/475)
- Corporate social responsibility (CESE 1301/2012, SOC/440)
- Corporate social responsibility (CESE 1576/2006, SOC/244)
- on financial services
- on company law
For more information please contact the INT Section Secretariat.