Dear Madam, dear Sir,
It is my pleasure to invite you to the 561st EESC Plenary Session.
On Wednesday 9 June at 14:45, we will hold a debate on the European Green Deal with Frans Timmermans, Executive Vice-President of the European Commission responsible for this flagship project, which encompasses all the most important EU policies.
On the same day at 17:30 our Members will discuss and vote on the EESC's contribution to the European Commission's 2022 work programme.
On Thursday 10 June at 10:00 we will examine the New Strategy for the Implementation of the Charter of Fundamental Rights and the European Democracy Action Plan with Didier Reynders, European Commissioner for Justice.
I will be glad to welcome you at our plenary session. To that end, I invite you to use webstreaming, which will allow you to follow all the votes and discussions remotely.
I would also like to invite you to follow the EESC kick-off event in the framework of the Conference on the Future of Europe – Bringing the European project back to citizens, which will take place on 10 June from 14:30 to 18:30. It will be an opportunity to gather ideas, proposals and momentum to launch debates with citizens all around the continent, with deep awareness of the responsibility to make this Conference a life-changing exercise with a meaningful outcome. The event's participants include: Guy Verhofstadt, Dubravka Šuica, Apóstolos Tzitzikóstas, Eva Maydell and many other significant guests. You can follow a live broadcast here.
News from the ESCs
- French ESEC: the new mandate of the French ESEC (after its reform) has begun. Mr Thierry Beaudet has been elected President for the 2021-2026 term of office.
- Spanish ESC: Mr Antón Costas and Ms Soledad Serrano have been appointed respectively as President and Secretary-general of the Spanish ESC.
- Bulgarian ESC: Ms Smilena Kostova has been appointed as new Secretary-general of the Bulgarian ESC.
- EESC: kick-off event in the framework of the Conference on the Future of Europe "Bringing the European project back to citizens", 10 June 2021
- European Commission: The European Commission has adopted a Communication on Better Regulation, proposing several improvements to the EU law-making process. It has also revised its portal "Have your say".
Main opinions to be discussed during the upcoming session (09-10 June 2021)
- Binding pay transparency measures (SOC/678), Mr Ristelä (GR.II – FI)
- Europe's beating cancer plan (SOC/677), Ms Bogusz (GR. III – PL)
- Implementation of the Charter of Fundamental Rights (SOC/671), Mr Pȋrvulescu (GR. III – RO)
- European democracy action plan (SOC/672), Mr Trindade (GR. II – PT)
- Evaluation – 2011 White Paper on Transport (TEN/728), Mr Coulon (GR. II – FR)
- Towards circular public procurement (INT/902), Mr Wyckmans (GR. II – BE)
- No Green Deal without a Social Deal (INT/903), Mr Kluge (GR. II – DE)
- European economic and financial system: fostering openness, strength and resilience (ECO/544), Mr Wróblewski (GR. I – PL)
Main opinions adopted during the previous session (27-28 April 2021)
- Summary of adopted opinions
- Regulation on European data governance (INT/921), Mr Guerini (GR. III – IT)
- Digital Markets Act (INT/928), Ms Prouzet (GR. I – FR)
- Digital Services Act (INT/929), Mr Lobo Xavier (GR. I – PT)
- Communication on cybersecurity strategy (INT/930), Mr Von Brockdorff (GR. II – MT)
- Vocational training: the effectiveness of systems to anticipate and match skills and labour market needs and the role of social partners and different stakeholders (SOC/661), Mr Pottier (GR. I – FR)
- How to promote, based on education and training, from a lifelong learning perspective, the skills needed for Europe to establish a more just, more cohesive, more sustainable, more digital and more resilient society (SOC/663), Ms Babrauskienė (GR. II – LT)
- Building a European Health Union (SOC/665), Mr Vardakastanis (GR. III – EL)
- Strategy for sustainable and smart mobility (TEN/729), Mr Back (GR. I – SE)
- Cybersecurity and Resilience of Critical Entities (TEN/730), Mr Mensi (GR. III – IT)
- Evaluation on Directive on the Sustainable Use of Pesticides (Information report) (NAT/805), Mr Roche Ramo (GR. III – ES)
- Evaluation on the CAP's impact on territorial development of rural areas (Information report) (NAT/806), Ms Kállay (GR. II – HU)
- Implementation of the EU action plan for the development of organic production, 11 June 2021
- Webinar of the Digital Transition and the Single Market Observatory, 14 June 2021
- Towards a holistic strategy on sustainable and equitable rural and urban development, 18 June 2021
- Advertising for modern, responsible consumption, 21 June 2021
- Strategic Foresight and EU Decision-Making - Economic Aspects, 22 June 2021
- The impact of the Covid-19 crisis on the Roma community: identifying measures how this can be addressed, 22 June 2021
- Portugal's Presidency of the Council of the European Union
- The EESC's activities during the Portuguese Presidency (January-June 2021)
- Pay transparency - the next step to end the gender pay gap, 5 May 2021
- Europe Day 2021, 9 May 2021
- Public hearing on the European Pillar of Social Rights Action Plan, 10 May 2021
- European Semester Group Conference 2021, 31 May 2021
- 10th edition of the ECI Day, 3-4 June 2021