The thematic debate "Ban Glyphosate" in the framework of the NAT Section meeting took place on 5 April 2017 at the EESC.
A European Citizens’ Initiative (ECI) has been recently launched to call on European Commission to propose a ban on glyphosate-based herbicides, "exposure to which has been linked to cancer in humans, and has led to ecosystems degradation" according to the ECI organisers. If the ECI receives the support of a million people from at least seven member states, the Commission will be obliged to consider a legislative response and provide justification for its decision.
The EESC debate was moderated by Mr Brendan BURNS, NAT Section president, with the participation of:
- Ms Franziska ACHTERBERG, EU Food Policy Director – Greenpeace: promoter of the ECI
- Mr Michael FLUEH, Head of Unit of the "Pesticides and biocides" unit - DG Health and Food Safety
- Mr Graeme TAYLOR, Director of Public Affairs - ECPA - the European Crop Protection Association
- Mr Oliver MOORE, Communications Director - ARC2020
- Ms Oana NEAGU, Director - Copa Cogeca