The EESC organised a public hearing on 29 May 2015 on "Can TTIP be a tool to foster the internationalisation of European SMEs?" in the framework of preparation of the EESC opinion on "TTIP and its impact on SMEs".
The hearing aimed at debating the following questions:
- main obstacles to the internationalization of SMEs;
- main barriers encountered by SMEs exporting and investing in the EU and the US;
- actions to be taken in order to facilitate SMEs' participation in transatlantic trade and investment and to help SMEs to benefit more from trade agreements;
- how to best address SMEs' needs and expectations from trade agreements;
- what can be the impact of trade agreements, and TTIP in particular on exporting and non-exporting European SMEs