Lead and supporting government bodies:
- All ministries are mandated to mainstream the Agenda 2030 goals (Ministerial Council decision 86/11 of 12 January 2016) in their relevant strategies and programmes, and if necessary to prepare action plans and measures and to involve other governmental institutions at federal, Bundesländer, municipal and communal level, as well as social partners, civil society and scientific organisations.
- The Federal Chancellery coordinates Agenda 2030, which was transposed into national regulation January 2016 with a dedicated SDG unit in charge.
- Strategic planning is a shared competency between the federation and states and the 2010 Sustainable Development strategy was adopted jointly.
- The federal Sustainable Development strategy establishing the Sustainable Development Council was adopted in 2002, but has not been updated since.
- Ministerial Council decision 86/11 (12 January 2016) transposes Agenda 2030 into national regulation and instructs all Federal Ministries to mainstream Agenda 2030 coherently.
- Agenda 2030 is mainstreamed by individual Federal Ministries, which align national policy frameworks with SDGs at sectoral level (described as an "SDG lens").
- The publication "Contributions of Federal Ministries to implement Agenda 2030 through Austria" documents the existing implementation of Agenda 2030. It was published in March 2017 by the Federal Chancellery:
- Line ministries & agencies with their action plans & measures;
- Inter-ministerial working groups;
- All government institutions to increase Agenda2030 visibility on web portals;
- Lists strategic priorities by individual SDG.
Implementation of Sustainable Development Goals:
- The Austrian platform for monitoring the implementation of Europe 2020, under the Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Consumer Protection, includes a headline target for combating poverty and social exclusion;
- The Austrian Ministry of Health and Women's Affairs has set specific health targets;
- The Three-Year Programme on Austrian Development Policy 2019-2021 by the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs;
- Web-based Performance Management Monitoring & Evaluation Tool (eWO) by the Federal Chancellery.
- The Federal Ministry of Sustainability and Tourism (FMST) published a 1st progress report on SDG 09/2017 , evaluating the FMST's sectoral competency and relevant activities already in progress;
- The response to Parliamentary question 13863/J highlights the development of the EU's SDG policy & implementation plan as a priority of the Austrian presidency in 2018.