- Adviser to the Board of AIMMAP (Association of Portuguese Metallurgical, Mechanical Engineering and Similar Industrial Companies), the largest industrial sector in Portugal; responsible for international relations and communication, since 2013
- National Delegate for Innovation on SMEs and Risk Finance for the Horizon 2020 programme, since February 2013
- Designated Member by CIP (Confederation of Portuguese Industry) at BUSINESSEUROPE's Research & Technological Innovation Working Group, since 2007
- Employers' Group member at the EESC since 2011, appointed by CIP (Confederation of Portuguese Industry), focusing on employment, social affairs, single market, industrial affairs, R&D and innovation issues
- Executive Director of RECET (Portuguese Technological Centres Network), managing R&D and international projects with partners mainly from Spain, France and other EU Member States, from 2002 to 2012
- Vice-President of the Europe 2020 Steering Committee at the EESC, from 2013 to 2015
- Vice-President of the EESC in charge of Communication from 2015 to 2018
At the EESC, Mr Lobo Xavier has been rapporteur for numerous opinions, such as the Annual Growth Survey 2015, Industrial changes in the European packaging sector, the Entrepreneurship 2020 Action Plan, and Opening up education.