As in previous years, the EESC will be present at the High Level Political Forum (HLPF), from Tuesday, 16 July, to Thursday, 18 July 2019. The HLPF is the United Nations central platform for follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals.
The High-level Political Forum session this year focuses on the theme "Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality".
The set of goals to be reviewed in depth is the following:
- Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
The European Economic and Social Committee, as the body representing organised civil society at the EU, was delighted to partner with several member states to co-host side events for knowledge exchange on important aspects that relate to the six environmental SDGs in focus at HLPF 2019. Please see the events tab for more information.