Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
It is my pleasure to invite you to the 560th EESC Plenary Session. We are planning a couple of stimulating debates, which might be especially interesting to you.
On Tuesday 27 April at 5.30 p.m., we will hold a debate on a Resolution on the Conference on the Future of Europe, one of the flagship initiatives of the Ursula von der Leyen Commission, which is setting off this month.
On Wednesday 28 April at 10 a.m., we will hold a debate on the Strategy for Sustainable and Smart Mobility with Adina Vălean, European Commissioner for Transport.
On the same day at 11 a.m., our Members will have a discussion with Nicolas Schmit, European Commissioner for Jobs and Social Rights, on the European Pillar of Social Rights Action Plan, the upcoming EU Action Plan for Social Economy followed by the adoption of the Resolution on the EESC's contribution to the Porto Social Summit.
I will be glad to welcome you at our plenary session. To that end, I invite you to use webstreaming, which will allow you to follow all the votes and discussions remotely.
News from the ESCs
- Luxembourg ESC: Mr Tom DOMINIQUE was elected new president of the Luxembourg ESC for the 2021-2023 term.
- EESC (European Semester Group): Annual European Semester conference 2021 on "Building a resilient Europe - Civil society and the National Recovery and Resilience Plans", 31 May 2021. Further details will follow on due time.
- EESC: 10th edition of the ECI Day, 3-4 June 2021.
Main opinions to be discussed during the upcoming session (27-28 April 2021)
- Regulation on European data governance (INT/921), Mr Guerini (GR. III – IT)
- Digital Markets Act (INT/928), Ms Prouzet (GR. I – FR)
- Digital Services Act (INT/929), Mr Lobo Xavier (GR. I – PT)
- Communication on cybersecurity strategy (INT/930), Mr Von Brockdorff (GR. II – MT)
- Vocational training: the effectiveness of systems to anticipate and match skills and labour market needs and the role of social partners and different stakeholders (SOC/661), Mr Pottier (GR. I – FR)
- How to promote, based on education and training, from a lifelong learning perspective, the skills needed for Europe to establish a more just, more cohesive, more sustainable, more digital and more resilient society (SOC/663), Ms Babrauskienė (GR. II – LT)
- Building a European Health Union (SOC/665), Mr Vardakastanis (GR. III – EL)
- Strategy for sustainable and smart mobility (TEN/729), Mr Back (GR. I – SE)
- Cybersecurity and Resilience of Critical Entities (TEN/730), Mr Mensi (GR. III – IT)
- Evaluation on Directive on the Sustainable Use of Pesticides (Information report) (NAT/805), Mr Roche Ramo (GR. III – ES)
- Evaluation on the CAP's impact on territorial development of rural areas (Information report) (NAT/806), Ms Kállay (GR. II – HU)
Main opinions adopted during the previous session (24-25 March 2021)
- Summary of adopted opinions
- Critical raw materials resilience: charting a path towards greater security and sustainability (CCMI/177), Mr Fornea (GR. II – RO)
- Sustainability requirements for batteries in the EU (CCMI/178), Mr Choix (GR. I – FR)
- Tackling non-performing loans in the aftermath of the Covid-19 pandemic (ECO/540), Mr Kupšys (GR. III – LT)
- Challenges of teleworking: organisation of working time, work-life balance and the right to disconnect (SOC/660), Mr Trindade (GR. II – PT)
- Teleworking and gender equality: conditions so that teleworking does not exacerbate the unequal distribution of unpaid care and domestic work between women and men and for it to be an engine for promoting gender equality (SOC/662), Ms Angelova (GR. I – BG)
- State of the Energy Union Report 2020 and Assessment of National Energy and Climate Plans (TEN/724), Mr Ribbe (GR. III – DE)
- The Single European Railway Area (TEN/727), Mr Back (GR. I – SE)
- Enhancing the accession process – A credible EU perspective for the Western Balkans (REX/533), Mr Zorko (GR. II –SI)
- Porto Social Summit: a new impetus to Europe's social commitment, 28 April 2021
- Pay transparency - the next step to end the gender pay gap, 5 May 2021
- Europe Day 2021, 9 May 2021
- Public hearing on the European Pillar of Social Rights Action Plan, 10 May 2021
- Portugal's Presidency of the Council of the European Union
- The EESC's activities during the Portuguese Presidency (January-June 2021)
- Building a European Health Union, 29 March 2021
- COVID-19 vaccination rollout and persons with disabilities, 30 March 2021
- Co-creation of the services of general interest: The Role of Citizens and their Organizations, 15 April 2021
- Empowering civil society, rights defenders and justice practitioners and strengthening awareness of Charter rights, 20 April 2021
- Conference on Energy poverty at the crossroads of the European Pillar of Social Rights and the European Green Deal, 20 April 2021
- The new EU Roma framework: views and expectations for the future of the Roma communities, 21 April 2021
- The European economic and financial system: fostering openness, strength and resilience in the COVID-19 context, 22 April 2021