Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
The EESC's Plenary Session on 27-29 October 2020 will mark the renewal of the European Economic and Social Committee as foreseen every five years by the Lisbon Treaty. The EESC Members, appointed by the Council on the base of national lists proposed by Member States, will take their office for the period running from 2020 until 2025.
On 28 October the EESC members will elect a new President and two Vice Presidents for Communication and Budget respectively for a term of two and half years. The position of President rotates between the three groups of the Committee (Employers, Workers and Diversity Europe). The President for the upcoming term will be elected from the Employers Group. All constitutional bodies of the EESC will also be set up according to the Rules of Procedure.
On 29 October, the members will hold a debate on the "Recovery for the future of Europe – The role of the European Economic and Social Committee", with statements by:
- David Maria Sassoli, president of the European Parliament
- Charles Michel, president of the European Council (video message)
- Ursula von der Leyen, president of the European Commission (video message)
- Apostolos Tzitzikostas, president of the European Committee of the Regions
- Geert Pauwels, chief executive officer of Lineas (private rail freight operator)
- Luca Visentini, secretary-general of the European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC)
- Jeremy Wates, secretary-general of the European Environmental Bureau (EEB)
We hope you can follow the event via webstreaming.
EESC Directorate for Communication and Interinstitutional Relations
The EESC plenary session on social media: to take part in the online discussions, follow @EU_EESC or the hashtag #EESCplenary. You can also post on our Facebook page via https://www.facebook.com/EuropeanEconomicAndSocialCommittee/ where the plenary session is announced. Don't forget that the plenary session is also streamed. Are your networks and organisations interested in our discussions? Let them know!