Communication from the Commission – Strategy for the effective implementation of the Charter of Fundamental Rights by the European Union
- considers that the Commission should strengthen the culture of fundamental rights at EU level, especially by monitoring to ensure that its legislative proposals and the whole legislative process, as well as all acts it adopts, comply with the charter and that they are observed in Member States;
- highlights the legally binding obligation to promote fundamental rights, which has to become one of the most important elements of the implementation strategy, inter alia by means of new, targeted initiatives; also underlines the dynamic nature of fundamental rights, which are a cornerstone of our societies and a hallmark of the European Union ;
- considers that fundamental social rights are "indivisible" from civil and political rights and therefore require special strategic attention; believes that the content of the relevant clauses is already binding and must be upheld;
- proposes further measures and promotional activities in order to boost the effectiveness of a fundamental rights implementation strategy;
- calls on all EU institutions to give a major boost to the participatory aspect of civil society.