16 Jun 2003 Ref: 042/2003 EESC PRESIDENT ROGER BRIESCH WELCOMES THE DECISION BY THE CZECH PEOPLE TO ENTER THE EUROPEAN UNION "Following the result of the Czech Republic's referendum which took place on 13 and 14 June, I welcome the decision of the Czech people to join the EU. It is a decision that demonstrates the will of the Czech Republic to commit itself to the future of Europe". It was with these words that the President of the EESC, Roger Briesch, welcomed on Monday the results of Czech Republic's referendum.
* Role of micro and small enterprises in the Europe's economic life and productive fabric (own-initiative): Essential to give the European Charter for Small Enterprises legal status.
* European space policy: Does the EU have the political will and the economic clout to maintain its autonomy and remain among the elite of the world of space?
* European health insurance card: a significant contribution to free movement within the EU via the "simplifying of procedures without any changes to rights and obligations".
* Quality of bathing water: support for a new directive that takes account of scientific and technical progress.
11 Jun 2003 Ref: 039/2003 GREATER EDUCATION ON HOW TO USE THE INTERNET SAFELY KEY TO PROTECTING OUR CHILDREN Ensuring a satisfactory level of protection among children when they use the Internet requires both the help of industry and parents. Ultimately, children themselves need to be made fully aware of the dangers of communicating through Internet chat rooms in order to ensure they are in a position to make informed decisions and protect themselves when they use this powerful information and communication tool.
This sums up the conclusions of a public hearing on child safety on the Internet that took place on 5 June at the headquarters of the European Economic and Social Committee in Brussels.
10 Jun 2003 Ref: 040/2003 EESC PRESIDENT ROGER BRIESCH WELCOMES POLAND'S DECISION TO ENTER THE EUROPEAN UNION "I welcome the decision of the Polish people to join the EU. It is a decision that demonstrates the will of Poland and its people to actively participate and contribute to the important process of European Integration". It was with these words that the President of the EESC, Roger Briesch, welcomed the results of Polish referendum that took place on 6-7 June.
2 Jun 2003 Ref: 037/2003 PROTECTION OF CHILDREN ON THE INTERNET * Is industry responding to the challenges?
* Is co-regulation, as advocated by the Committee, preferable to self-regulation as advocated by the European Commission?
These are two key questions that 70 participants, attending a hearing organised by the EESC at its headquarters (Rue Ravenstein, 2, Brussels), will be answering on 5th June between 14:30 and 17:30.